Government Services

State of Missouri:

Their programs and services include the following:

-Advocacy, Counseling, and Treatment Services:
The state provides a number of Children’s treatment services: View them on the state’s website by clicking here and in the list below.
*All children and families in need of treatment services because of abuse or neglect, or at risk of abuse or neglect; and children who have committed statue offenses such as repeated absences from school or who are in danger of becoming delinquent.

▪   Court-Appointed Special Advocates (CASA) – Lay persons who assist children involved in juvenile court proceedings and in planning for the children’s return to their biological homes

▪   Crisis Nursery Services – Short-term temporary child care voluntarily sought by families for children at risk of abuse or neglect.

▪   Day Treatment – Treatment for emotionally disturbed children who do not need 24 hour care.

▪   Evaluation and Diagnosis – Evaluation and diagnosis for special psychological, and medical problems that may be contributing to or that may be the result of incidents of abuse or neglect.

▪   Family Residential Treatment – Sustenance, shelter, and a range of treatment services on a 24-hour basis to families to help remedy abuse, neglect or exploitation of children and to maintain the family unit.

▪   Family Therapy – In-home or in-office treatment services directed toward helping a family develop new skills in solving problems.

▪   General Medical Examinations, Medical Laboratory Tests, Radiological Test – Medical examinations and tests to identify indicators of child abuse and neglect, when done in conjunction with hotline report.

▪   Group Counseling – Therapeutic interaction between the counselor and two or more clients directed toward a specific need or problem.

▪   Homemaker Services – Short Term services that focus on support for families during crises, or teaching homemaking skill, and /or providing a role model to parents under stress.

▪   Individual Counseling – Therapeutic interaction between the counselor and the client directed toward a specific need or problem.

▪   Interpretative and Counseling Services for the Deaf – Special services for abused and neglected deaf children and/or deaf members of their family.

▪   Juvenile Court Diversion Program – Development of court-sponsored programs in order to divert children from CD care and custody.

▪   Parent Aide – Basic training to families experiencing stress, that has led to or may lead to child abuse or neglect.

▪   Parent Education Program – Teaching appropriate parenting techniques to groups.

▪   Resource Coordination – Activities related to coordination of service delivery, resource development, resource identification, and resource acquisition involving a range of home-base services.

Child Abuse and Neglect:

▪   They operate a 24-hour Hotline to report child abuse: 1-800-392-3738

▪   If you are unsure what to report, visit there website here for more information

▪   When you do call, be sure to you have: The name of the child, The name of the parent(s), The name of the alleged abuser, Where the child can be located

▪   Be prepared to answer: Is the child in a life-threatening situation now? How do you know about the abuse/neglect? Did you witness the abuse/neglect? Were there other witnesses and how can they be contacted?

*If you’re not sure whether you should report the abuse, contact the Children’s Division Offices to talk with a representative from the department. The phone numbers vary by county. Look up your the appropriate phone number for you here.
*The state website does encourage to err on the side of over reporting

Foster Care 

Older Youth Program The John H. Chafee Foster Care Independence Program, Transitional Living Services, and Independent Living Arrangements are all encompassed in the Older Youth Program.Eligibility Requirement:

▪   Youth, who exited legal custody of the Division on or after the age of 17.5 but have not yet reached age 21.

▪   Youth, who after age 16 or older, leave foster care for adoption or guardianship.

▪   Youth, ages 14-21, currently in the legal custody of the Division and in out-of-home placement

John H. Chafee Foster Care Independence Program                                       Education and Training Vouchers: 
Eligibility Requirements: Youth eligible for Chafee services and youth adopted or obtained legal guardianship after their 16th birthday; Youth ages 18, 19, 20 when they first apply.

Vouchers provide up to 5,000 per year for the total cost of attendance that includes:

▪   Tuition and fees.

▪   Room and Board for former foster youth who left care at age 18 or after but have not reached age 21. Room and Board assistance may also be available to eligible youth 21-23 if they are enrolled full-time in a post-secondary educational or training program.

▪   Rental or purchase of required equipment, materials or supplies (including a computer).

▪   Allowance for books, supplies, transportation, etc.; and

▪   Special study projects.

Complete the online application here. With that, you must also submit: ETV Student Cashier Statement, ETV Financial Aid Release Form, Federal Financial Student Aid Application (FAFSA) and have an active e-mail account.
For more information, contact:

Transitional Living Services for 16-17 year-olds and Independent Living Arrangements for 18-20 year olds
For more information about these housing services, contact Sally A. Gaines at (573) 522-6279

For additional resource information for older youth offered by the State of Missouri, click here.

Involvement Opportunity:
-Missouri State Youth Advisory Board is an opportunity for leadership and civic engagement. Click here to view more information about the opportunity.

Educational Resources:
-On their website, they provide a great deal of information about applying for Financial Aid. The most important document to complete to be eligible for financial assistance is the FAFSA (The Free Application for Federal Student Aid). By completing it, you apply to the U.S. Department of Education, the largest source of student aid in America. In many cases, the FAFSA is the only application needed for students to obtain aid from their state or college, too. To find additional financial aid available to Missouri Residents, go here.

Scholarships and Grants: The State offers a number of scholarship programs. They are briefly described below and you can visit their website for information.

A+ Scholarship ProgramEligibility:

▪   Be a U.S. citizen, permanent resident, or lawfully present in the U.S.

▪   Enter into a written agreement with your high school prior to graduation.

▪   Attend a designated A+ high school for 3 consecutive years immediately prior to graduation.1

▪   Graduate with an overall grade point average of 2.5 or higher on a 4.0 scale.

▪   Have at least a 95% attendance record overall for grades 9-12.

▪   Perform at least 50 hours of unpaid tutoring or mentoring, of which up to 25% may include job shadowing.

▪   Maintain a record of good citizenship and avoid the unlawful use of drugs and/or alcohol.

▪   Beginning with the high school senior class of 2015, have achieved a score of proficient or advanced on the Algebra I end of course exam.3

How to apply: You do not have to complete a paper A+ Scholarship application for the MDHE.  Check with your community college or vocational/technical school to see what materials they require in order to confirm your A+ eligibility.  In most cases your school will require at least an A+ seal/stamp on your high school transcript. In addition, you must complete the FAFSA each year.  If you are attending a school that does not participate in Title IV programs you must complete the FAFSA4caster, which is a tool for estimating your level of need for federal financial aid. The MDHE receives electronic FAFSA records for Missouri residents directly from the federal government.  Late filing may jeopardize your payment as well as eligibility for other state aid programs.
For the summer semester, check with the school you are attending to see which academic year (July 1 to June 30) contains the summer term. For example, if the 2012 summer semester is part of the upcoming academic year (called a “header”), you would need to file a 2012-2013 FAFSA in order to receive a summer award. If the 2012 summer semester is part of the prior academic year (called a “trailer”), you will need to file a 2011-2012 FAFSA before June 15, 2012. Although you must file a FAFSA for the correct academic year based on your school’s academic year, the MDHE will always provide funding for the summer term after July 1, even if your school considers summer to be a trailer to the previous academic year.

Bright Flight Program:Eligibility: For Missouri students with high ACT and SAT scores (top 3% of the state, generally a 30/31 or above, 760/780 and above)
There is no application, but make sure to designate a participating Missouri school as a school of interest when you take the test. The state contacts eligible students upon receiving their scores.

Kids Chance ScholarshipEligibility: For children of workers who were seriously injured or died in a work-related accident covered and compensated by workers’ compensation. A serious injury is one that led to a paid settlement or judicial award and is verified with information from the Missouri Division of Workers’ Compensation.
How to Apply: Complete the FAFSA and the application on There are also more potential scholarships for students in this situation available there.

Marguerite Ross Barnett Memorial ScholarshipEligibility:

▪   Have a FAFSA on file by August 1, 2011

▪   Be enrolled at least half time, but less than full time (6-11 credit hours), at a participating Missouri postsecondary school.

▪   Be employed and compensated for at least 20 hours per week.

▪   Be at least 18 years old.

▪   Demonstrate financial need.

▪   Be a Missouri resident and a United States citizen or a permanent resident.

▪   Not be pursuing a degree or certificate in theology or divinity.

▪   Not have not received your first bachelor’s degree or completed 150 semester credit hours.

▪   Not be employed under the Title IV College Work Study program.

How to Apply: File the FAFSA and complete this form each year

Minority Teaching ScholarshipEligibility: For academically talented minority individuals interested in the teaching profession.

Minority and Underrepresented Environmental Literacy ProgramEligibility: For minority students pursuing environmental courses of study. Such as Environmental engineering, Chemical engineering, Civil engineering, Mechanical engineering, Agricultural engineering, Biology, Geology, Wildlife management, Natural resource planning, Natural resources or a closely related field, Environmental chemistry, or Environmental law enforcement)
How to Apply: Complete this form , submit 3 letters of recommendation, resume, ACT/SAT scores, and a 1 page essay explaining why you are pursuing the scholarship.

High School:
-GED Information
General Educational Development (or GED) tests are a battery of five tests which (when passed) certifies that the taker has high school-level academic skills. The exam covers reading, mathematics, social studies, science and writing skills.  The writing skills portion includes a 200-word essay.  The exam takes about 7 hours to complete.  To pass the GED tests and earn a GED credential, test-takers must score higher than 40 percent of graduating high school seniors nationwide.

Eligibility Requirements: To be eligible to take the General Educational Development (GED) tests and earn a Missouri High School Equivalency Certificate, a person must be a resident of Missouri (with a Missouri mailing address), and meet one (1) of the following requirements:
1. Be eighteen (18) years of age or older;
2. Be seventeen (17) years of age and withdrawn from school;
3. Be currently enrolled in school and qualify as a participant in an approved GED Option Program for at-risk youth; or
4. Sixteen (16) year-olds must have successfully completed sixteen (16) units of credit toward high school graduation and have written permission from the superintendent or principal of the school last attended; or
If home-schooled, be sixteen (16) years of age and have met the requirements of 167.031 RSMo for course instruction and have written permission of the parent or legal guardian indicating compliance.

To find the testing center nearest you, click here.

Click here to find GED Resource Centers.

Go here to learn more about applying to take the test:

Other Programs:
-Adult Literacy Programs: These provide Missourians 17 (and in some cases 16) and older with access to resources to increase their literacy skills.

Career Education: These programs combine education and occupational training to prepare students of all ages for specific jobs.
For more information, contact them here.

Missouri Connections: This program allows Missourians the ability to determine their career interests, build plans, explore their options free of charge.

Family Support Division: The Family Support Division can help you or your family with food stamps, health care, child care, child support, and other needs.